NZ Parent Resident Visa
If you have an adult New Zealand citizen or resident child who earns enough and agrees to sponsor you, you may be able to live in New Zealand permanently. You need to apply by sending an expression of interest explaining how you meet the requirements and be sponsored by your child or your child and their partner.
|Quota Each Year||1000|
|Timeframes||Due to COVID-19, EOI selection for this visa is suspended.|
With this visa, you can
- Live, work and study in New Zealand.
- Include your partner in your residence application.
How to apply?
To apply, you must complete an expression of interest form. You will have to include the following details in the form:
- your identity, character and health
- your English-speaking ability — if you do not speak English, you must agree to pay for English language lessons if your application is approved
- your family
- your partner, if you have one
- your sponsor or sponsors, including their income.
Your EOI will then enter into a selection pool. If you are successful, New Zealand Immigration will invite you to apply for residence.
- Meet health and character requirements.
- You must be able to speak English. If you cannot speak English, you must agree to pay for English lessons if your application is approved.
- You must not have dependent children.
- Your sponsoring child must earn sufficient income to sponsor you.
- You must have an adult child who is eligible to sponsor you.
- Your sponsoring child must be a New Zealand citizen or resident.
- Your sponsoring child must live in New Zealand.
- You must be the parent or legal guardian of the sponsoring child.
To be eligible, your child must be:
- be 18 or over
- have been a New Zealand citizen or resident for at least 3 years before you apply for residence
- livein New Zealand
- have spent 184 or more days in New Zealand in each of the 3 years before you apply for residence
- agree to meet your living costs for the first 10 years of your residence, if you’re unable to
- agree to cover the costs of sending you home, if necessary
- be able to give us Inland Revenue tax statements as evidence of their income.
Sponsor Child’s Income
The sponsor’s income must be based on the New Zealand median income for 2 out of the 3 years before the applicant applied for residence. The median income is updated each year, so the amount the sponsor will need to earn may change.
To calculate the income, you must consider:
- if you have 1 or 2 sponsors
- how many parents are being sponsored — this includes any parents they may have sponsored before
- the date of the last day of the month before you were invited to apply, and
- what the New Zealand median income was on the last day of each year that your sponsor’s income will be assessed on.