Legal Secretary – ANZSCO 521212
- Legal Secretary performs secretarial, clerical and other administrative tasks in support of Legal Professionals applying knowledge of legal terminology, procedures and documents.
- Skill Level
Skills Assessment Requirement
Unless you are exempt in very limited circumstances, you are required to have a positive Skills Assessment to apply for the visas listed above.
Skills Assessment authority for Legal Secretary is Vocational Education and Training Assess (VETASSESS). To have a positive skills assessment, you must meet the following criteria:
- Qualification assessed at AQF Diploma level WITH a highly relevant field of study AND at least one year of post-qualification highly relevant employment at an appropriate skill level in the past five years; OR
- Qualification assessed at AQF Diploma level WITH an additional qualification at AQF Certificate IV in a highly relevant field of study AND at least one year of post-qualification highly relevant employment at an appropriate skill level in the past five years; OR
- Qualification assessed at AQF Diploma WITHOUT a highly relevant field of study AND at least two years of post-qualification highly relevant employment at an appropriate skill level in the past five years
- Applicants must meet both the qualification and employment requirements to obtain a positive skills assessment
Potential Visa Pathways for Legal Secretary
|ANZSCO||Occupation||Skills Assessment||189||190||485 (Graduate Work)||491 (State)||491 (Family)||186 (Direct)||407 (Training)||494 (regional Sponsored)||482 (TSS Medium Term)|
Group: 5212 Secretaries
- Perform secretarial, clerical and other administrative tasks in support of Managers, Legal Professionals and other professionals.
Medical Secretaries are excluded from this unit group. Medical Secretaries are included in Unit Group 5421 Receptionists, in Occupation 542114 Medical Receptionist.
- Liaising with other staff to arrange meetings, and to gain and provide information
- Preparing reports, briefing notes and correspondence, and proofreading work for typographical and grammatical errors
- Maintaining appointment diaries and making travel arrangements
- Processing incoming and outgoing mail, filing correspondence and maintaining records
- Answering telephone calls, responding to inquiries and redirecting callers
- Taking and transcribing dictation of letters and other documents
- Greeting visitors, ascertaining nature of business and directing visitors to appropriate persons
- May implement management decisions and maintain records of meetings
- May handle bookkeeping and petty cash functions
- Skill Level
- Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with the qualifications and experience outlined below.
AQF Certificate III including at least two years of on-the-job training, or AQF Certificate IV (ANZSCO Skill Level 3)
In New Zealand:
NZ Register Level 4 qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 3)
At least three years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.
- Occupations in this Group
- 521211 Secretary (General)
- 521212 Legal Secretary
Subclass 494 visa – Skilled Sponsored Regional (Provisional) visa
You can apply for subclass 494 if you have a regional employer who is willing to sponsor you. To be eligible for this visa, you must have at least 3 years of working experience in your nominated occupation and have a relevant skills assessment. With this visa, there is a requirement that you must work for the employer who is sponsoring you.
This visa provides pathway to permanent residency through the 191 visa.
At least 3 years full-time work experience in the nominated occupation.
Must have at least Competent English, i.e., IELTS 6.0 or equivalent.
Must be sponsored by an Australian regional employer.
Must have a positive skills assessment.
Must live and work in regional areas in Australia.
Book a consultation with our Registered Migration Agents in Melbourne to find out more about your visa options and your path to Australian permanent residency or applying for citizenship.