Orphan Relative visa (subclass 117)
Subclass 117 Visa also known as the Orphan Relative Visa allows a single child to come to Australia to live with their relative if their parents have passed away, are unable to care for them or cannot be found. This visa would allow the child to stay in Australia as a permanent resident, and the child will be able to work and study in Australia. As a sponsor, he/she must assist the child by providing accommodation and financial assistance for the first two years the child is in Australia.
- Have a sponsor– The sponsor must be an eligible Australian relative, that is the relative must be an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen. An eligible relative may include child’s siblings, grandparents, aunt and uncle or the current spouse or de facto partner of the child’s relative. In addition, the relative must be settled in Australia. Usually, ‘settling’ means that the person has lived in Australia lawfully for at least two years. To approve the visa application, the case officer would also consider if the sponsor or the sponsor’s partner has been charged with offences relating to children.
- Age –The child must be under 18 years old.
- Have no parent who can care for them- The parent of the child cannot care for the child due to one of the following:
- Permanently incapable of caring for the child
- Can’t be found
- Consent– The sponsor must have consented to bring the child over to Australia. For example, permission may need to be obtained from the court to allow the child to leave his/her home country.
- Meet health requirement
- Meet character requirement
- Bringing the child to Australia must also be in the best interest of the child.
Permanent Parent Visas
Temporary Parent Visas
Please complete our Parent visa assessment form to determine your eligibility. VisaEnvoy are industry leaders and your trusted migration agents and immigration lawyers in Melbourne with offices across Australia.
Book an appointment today for a detailed assessment with our Registered Migration Agents in Melbourne to find more about your visa options.